When I was a girl, my grandmother gave me a globe and it sparked an interest in seeing other places around the world. I’ve been traveling solo to several countries since 2001, and I recently started cruising. Although there are pluses and minuses with cruising, I think they are a very safe and affordable way to make your way around the world.
This December 2014, I decided to travel to Italy, Greece, and Turkey. People often tell me that I’m lucky to be able to travel. However, I’m the type of girl that budgets and cuts corners year-round so that I can fulfill my love of traveling. Overall, I spent about $3,500 in total. I’m sure I could have spent less or even more, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
If you like to travel, but you’re on a budget, don’t be discouraged–be encouraged!
Tips to realizing your travel dreams:
1. Get a passport even if you don’t have a plan yet. (They are valid for 10 years)
2. Choose a destination. Search different pages to get an idea of how much money you need. (Try buying tickets 6 months in advance because prices usually go up.)
3. Set a specific amount to save each paycheck. Stick to the budget! I know people who save one day, and withdraw it days later. Of course, emergencies happen; but make sure it is truly an emergency.
4. Don’t be afraid! Traveling alone sometimes gives me the jitters, but believe me you won’t be alone! People in tours are usually friendly and helpful. Plus, they’ll commend you for your bravery.
5. Research your destination to get acquainted and to avoid surprises.